Friday, September 22, 2017

Winged Journeys - Call for Submissions


Top post on IndiBlogger, the biggest community of Indian Bloggers


What do you think of WINGS?

Wings-HuesnShades
Wings painted on one of the walls in Fort Kochi. Artist anon.

It is said:

"Until you spread your wings you will have no idea how far you can fly."

There are so many of us who like – love pictures where wings are portrayed. Probably that’s why we love fairies. There’s a certain element of magic to the whole theme of wings. Apart from that there’s this sense of freedom, courage, lightness that we connect with wings...that makes us often wonder at the sense of liberty birds enjoy...sometimes even the tiny forms of wings...butterflies, dragonflies, fireflies...evoke a sense of awe. There's always this wishful thinking..."If only I had wings..." 
Probably that's why I like the story of Icarus and his tragedy strikes a chord! 

So what about wings? Why am I talking about it today?

I am calling for submissions.

Of what, you mean?

If you have ever taken a picture of yourself in front of any wings – painted, assembled, carved, hand-made etc. etc. etc. I request you to email the picture with a pretty good resolution. This is to compile an assortment of pictures which will then be published in this blog. And if there’s some story behind that picture...it’s an added aura...rather an added feather!!! 

Wings-Dubai-HuesnShades
When I  grew wings in Dubai - Dubai Garden Glow

It was the first time I had been to 'Dubai Garden Glow' the last summer vacation. It wasn't open when we were residents of Dubai that was until 2013. Though we have visited Dubai after that on other occasions we couldn't make it then. I am usually not very fond of my pictures being clicked. This was the first time I was taking a picture, standing on the pedestal while others were watching! A small queue had formed for their pictures to be taken. Such are the power of 'Wings'!

So friends, what are you waiting for? Also need your permission to share the blogpost/story in Facebook as well. Share and spread the word dears. Remember to share the details below. You can use the hashtag #wingedjourneys #huesnshades in your post.

Email your pictures with stories to mail.huesnshades@gmail.com (Remember there is a DOT between MAIL and HUESNSHADES). Please check the email address before you hit the send button.

On a closing note:

ErinHanson-Poem



Looking forward to your 'Winged Journeys'...

#wingedjourneys #huesnshadesblog #deepagopalsunil


ps: stay tuned...next post will be about an artist who can awe and stir us with wings. 


12 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Beautiful wings and beautiful poetry:-)

Valerie-Jael said...

Good luck with your winged project. Happy PPF, hugs, Valerie

Giggles said...

What a great idea for a project... I wish you much success... not sure I've ever been too focused on wings. Although some of my art does have them...need to ponder this more!! Thanks for making me think!!

Peace Giggles

Jyotirmoy Sarkar said...

Nice poetry. Good to know about the opportunity.

Julie said...

I haven't a picture of myself with wings, Deepa! I'm wondering why that has never happened! Best of luck with the project!!!! Hugs!
Julie

DVArtist said...

I love wings. There is magic in them. However, I have never been photographed with them.

Kokila gupta said...

I would love to just have to search a picture with wings in the background...oh! Why I had to be so shy at those times when half of the world was posing with wings!

Jayanth Jayaprakash JJ said...

Wings are associated with flight,lightweight,soaring etc...but the bottom line is to fly one needs the thrust to go against the gravitational pull of society,structure,norms,populist ways...the list is long.One has to have courage to fly by defying all the above listed gravitational forces.Secondly one has to fly or soar to enjoy the freedom of living ones life on the lines of one's identified purpose of life beyond the popular necessity perception.Once the initial thrust has been achieved then one reaches beyond the various strata of gravitation.At every strata one spreads the wings to simply soar or enjoy the fruit of the hard flapping to reach the current height.Every time one reaches the saturation point of every height then we again repeat the process of hard flapping of the wings to defy the gravitational pull of that height to scale the next height.Keep soaring,keep flapping in every dimension of yourself.Enjoy your wings and keep soaring yonder and founder...
-Jayanth Jayaprakash JJ Mentor

Arti said...

Such a fabulous idea for a project, Deepa! Love the powerful thoughts behind it and the poetry towards the end - just fabulous dear!! :) I wish I had a picture with wings but never really had that opportunity. But I do look forward to the compiled post. All the best!

D.Nambiar said...

Deepa, I have a pic of my little girl wearing some wings. I'm wondering if that'll work? One with her back facing the camera really brings out the beauty of those wings.
Let me know. :)

Maniparna said...

Beautiful post and I loved the idea. Wings represent freedom.
I've to search for any such pictures...but as far as I can remember, there's none...

Unknown said...

Beautiful and would surely try to submit and be a part of your wing project.