Friday, October 31, 2014

Illustration with Gond Art - Panchatantra Retold

Top post on IndiBlogger.in, the community of Indian Bloggers


I have been busy with a couple of projects...very dear to me and I will be giving a sneak peek too, my friends on one of them :)
It has been an enriching experience for me as I did really go through some intense research on the art form, bought a couple of books for the same and I did enjoy it as I happened to grow and evolve, personally speaking.

The art form I am speaking here is Gond Art from Madhya Pradhesh. Again, it's a tribal art form featuring nature and the nuances between man and nature. It's an exciting art form like any folk art in that we get and tend to be a child...child-like! I enjoy the part when you draw with your heart and not with your brain demanding technical skills in this and that. Missed to mention that it very much reminds me Australian Aboriginal art. Jasmine Bheda of NaishArt Publishers from Pune wanted me to illustrate the famous Panchatantra stories (two of them) in the Gond art style. I just completed the project and off it has been sent to Jasmine. Now, I am eagerly waiting for the published copy :)

You can see and read more about Gond art here

So for the sneak-peek, these are the part pictures of the first pages of both the stories:

TheFox-The Deer&TheCrow-HuesnShades
 The Fox, The Deer and The Crow
Acrylics and Pen

Heron&TheCrab-HuesnShades
Heron and The Crab
Acrylics and Pen



Now, the books I bought for some research and enlightenment are:

 Signature:Patterns in Gond Art is an amazing book by Tara Publishers and it showcases the works of established as well as emerging artists in the field of Gond art. Each page is a colorful vision of the intricate patterns and designs followed in the art form. It is a work of intense beauty and should be added to the collection of any folk artist.

In this book, Charu Smitha Gupta, talks about the artistic past; it's evolution, the waning and the incredible resurgence of the varied folk art forms.

Both the books are a good read as far any folk art enthusiast is concerned. Love Signature more for it's stunning pictures.

Linking it to Eva and Kristin's PPF!

That's it for this week. In case you liked the post, please do not forget to leave a comment. Your feedback is always valuable. Thank you for taking the time to visit my space :)

Cheers!


Please do not use/reproduce the content (words as well as images) without the written consent of the author.


21 comments:

pauline said...

Deepa, how fabulous that you were asked to illustrate for these beautiful books! I love what you said about drawing with your heart and not with your brain. I love that Tribal Art book. I may just need to get it. xx

Valerie-Jael said...

Fantastic art! Valerie

Linda Kunsman said...

I do love your vivid and intricate art projects-and really enjoy the information you present along with it. Congrats on getting published! I hope you will share your pages when you receive the book.

Unknown said...

I am in love with Gond Paintings too. I have the same book. I have created a few too. In fact the most stunning parts of these paintings are theme of nature's interdependence and richness in colours.

froebelsternchen said...

amazing art!
xxx
Susi

GlorV1 said...

Hi Deepa. Hope all is well. It's been a while. Love this type of work and congratulations as well. The books really sound great. Thank you for sharing this info on the books. Take care.

SLScheibe said...

I love the style of this art! So colourful, fun and whimsical. It looks gorgeous :)

Christine said...

lovely work

Abigail Davidson said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful illustrations. Really inspiring!

Giggles said...

Oh how exciting for you to be published!! Congratulations!! We will look forward to seeing what you did!! Wonderful artwork this week so vibrant and full of life!

Hugs Giggles

sangeeta said...

wow beautiful.

Hemapriya said...

Wow , it is awesome, looking for your published copy book :-)

sheila 77 said...

Love to see your different (to me) kind of illustrative art with your lovely clear images and colours.

kathiresh said...

ALL THE BEST DEEPA CHECHII....ALWAYS REMEMBER THE "BEST" YET TO COME....GOD BLESS YOU

Tammie Dickerson said...

So cool! Love the whimsey and bold colors of this work!

Carola Bartz said...

This is such beautiful art.

Disha Mishra Dubey said...

Fabulous illustration Deepa. Now I know where have you vanished. Keep up the good work. I have soft corner for Gond Art as I hail from MP. I am waiting for the published copy.

Kokila gupta said...

Beautiful, intricate patterns, vivid shapes and vibrant colours of fish n animals .... beauty at its best Deepa... Thanks for a share :)

Rajeev Moothedath said...

A really nice informative post. Loved the pictures as well!

Maniparna said...

Beautifully done..the colour combination and concept..just wonderful... :-)

Paresh Kale said...

Great combo of art and story telling !